What is more British than scones with strawberries and whipped cream? Well, nothing is really, especially if you are a regular Wimbledon Tennis fan.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients (serves 20):
- 4 cups self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar mixture, to serve
- Strawberry cream
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- 1 1/2 cups thickened cream, whipped
- 150g strawberries, diced
- Make sure you have the ingredients!
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Line a flat baking tray with baking paper. Sift flour, sugar and a pinch of salt into a large bowl.
- Combine cream, milk and vanilla in a jug. Pour into dry ingredients. Stir with a flat-bladed knife to combine. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently until smooth.
- Pat dough out to a 2.5cm-thick round.Using a 5cm scone cutter, cut 12 scones from dough. Gently press remaining dough together and repeat. Place scones on prepared tray, allowing a little room for spreading. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven. Cover with a clean tea towel and stand scones on tray for 10 minutes.
- Make strawberry cream: Stir jam in a bowl until softened slightly. Add cream and half the strawberries. Gently fold through until just combined.
- Split scones in half. Top bases with a dollop of strawberry cream, remaining strawberries and scone tops. Dust with icing sugar and serve.
Source: www.taste.com; Super Food Ideas- June 2006, Page 24. The recipe is by Julie Jansen